The IAU Meteor Data Center (MDC) operates at the
Astronomical Institute of the Slovak Academy of Sciences,
under the auspices of Division F (Planetary Systems and Bioastronomy) of the International
Astronomical Union (IAU).
The MDC is responsible for
- the designation of meteor showers, in conjunction with the Working Group on Meteor Shower
Nomenclature of IAU Commission F1 (Meteors, Meteorites, and Interplanetary Dust); it acts as a
central list of all meteor showers (Shower database)
- the efficient collection, (computation,) checking and dissemination of trajectory
observations and orbits of meteors; it acts as a central depository for meteor orbits obtained by
photographic, video and radar techniques (Orbital database)
The points of contact for reporting:
- the discovery of a new or for reports of known meteor showers: mdc_showers [at] ta3.sk
- the new measurements of meteor orbits and trajectories: mdc_orbits [at] ta3.sk
The IAU Meteor Data Center team:
- Shower Database: Mária Hajduková (Astronomical Institute of the Slovak Academy of Sciences, Bratislava, Slovak
Republic) and Regina Rudawska (RHEA group/ESA ESTEC, Noordwijk, The Netherlands).
- Orbital Database: Luboš Neslušan, Marian Jakubík, Ján Svoreň (Astronomical
Institute of the Slovak Academy of Sciences, Tatranská Lomnica, Slovak Republic).
Since its beginning, the IAU MDC database has been maintained on an unpaid voluntary basis.